Welcome to springtime! As we all enjoy the warm weather and an urge to clean, we wanted to remind drivers that this is also the perfect time for a tune-up.
Things You Can Do:
- Get a car wash. Your car probably got a lot of de-icing agents on it from the winter, so a good wash—that includes the undercarriage—is recommended.
- Check your battery life. If you have the right equipment to measure it, then you should be checking your battery yearly. Spring is as good a time as any.
- Inspect your tires. Check the tread, tire pressure, and any other issues you might spot.
- Clean out the interior of your car. Even if you have rubber mats, it’s always good to clean the interior after winter since you most likely tracked salt and other de-icing agents in.
Things You’ll Need a Technician For:
- Get your tires replaced or rotated. Depending on how your tire inspection went, it might be time for some replacements. A rotation might be good if you haven’t had them rotated lately.
- Inspect the brakes. It’s hard for drivers to see under their vehicle, so let the experts inspect this system for you.
- Check or replace battery. If you aren’t able to measure your car’s battery life or it needs replacement, then getting it done during the tune-up would be ideal.
- Change the engine and/or cabin air filter. Engine air filters should be replaced once a year or every 15,000 to 30,000 miles for peak engine performance. The cabin air filter should also be replaced yearly to keep dirt and debris from entering the cabin air where you and your passengers are.
- Fill or top off fluids. An important part of making sure everything is running smoothly.
- Replace the windshield wipers. These should be replaced yearly, and they might be suffering after a long season of damaging ice.
- Get an oil change. If it’s time for an oil change, you might as well get it covered while in for the tune-up.
In general, ask your trusted service center if they can inspect your overall car and see how it’s doing in terms of preventative maintenance tasks. Regular tune-ups are one of the best ways to save you money long-term and help avoid surprise, costly repairs. Give us a call or use our online scheduler to get your spring tune-up at Superior Service Center. We’re located in Eagan, MN and Apple Valley, MN.