Accidents happen and with winter approaching we will be seeing many more vehicles to repair here at Superior Service Center. Statistics in the 2013 Department of Public Safety Minnesota Motor Vehicle Crash Facts reports that over 3,000 accidents happened in 2013 due to snow, sleet, hail, or freezing rain. When an accident happens it can be stressful and knowing exactly what to do ahead of time will ease that stress if maybe just a little bit.
- Be Prepared- Have a pen and paper handy in the car for getting information when needed (other parties name and insurance information) Also cones or emergency flares could help with alerting other drivers of the accident before emergency responders arrive.
- If you can, if another vehicle was involved as soon as possible write down or try to repeat in your head the make, model, and license plate number of the other vehicle (they may try to drive away).
- Turn your cars hazard lights on.
- If the accident is major call 911 or ask to someone if possible, check for injuries and tell someone if help is needed
- Even if its not major it is always a good idea to call the police at the scene of the accident and file a report.
- If possible and necessary move the cars to a safe place if the accident occurred on the road or in traffic.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible and give them the details of the accident.
- Be polite and don’t discuss the details of the accident with anyone except the police and your insurance agent and DO NOT take fault, even if it was your fault.
- Look for witnesses and ask them to stay on scene until police arrive to give a statement. Get their name and phone number.
- Exchange information with the other driver; name, address, phone number, drivers license number, and insurance information; company name, address, phone number, and policy number.
Meeting the nicest people by accident
Minnesota State Law states you can have your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice. Choose Superior Service Center where you meet the nicest people by accident. For more information on State Insurance Laws see the link below.